Turning

Very full on day in the machine shop yesterday, got the crank pulley turned up,fabricated the adjuster bracket,got them all drilled and fixed plus made and fitted the top hat to the now converted dizzy for the oil pump drive. I have included a few pictures of our machine / fabrication shop nothing grand but fairly well tooled, I wont bore you with the details but the pictures give a flavour of whats involved plus the finished items.

DSCN2786 DSCN2787

DSCN2794 DSCN2792

DSCN2796 DSCN2797

DSCN2800 DSCN2799

DSCN2807 DSCN2806

Wing Repairs and lots more

Today got the nearside inner wing repair finished as far as the new glassfibre goes finished it with a cloth for strength and smoothness,also made a sandwich piece for the making good where i cut the old battery box out in the nearside wheel arch,got that jammed in place with some bits of timber then 8oz outside plus a cloth finish, glass the inside on thursday, fitted the refurbed driveshafts with new bolts and washers and got all the bits together for a machining day tomorrow, I have cut down the distributer to just a shaft to drive the oil pump and will make a stainless hat for it while on the lathe, so tomorrow big day turn up the crank pulley for the blower, billet of ally arrived today got the laser work back for d.c. development for the adjuster bracket for the blower belt, once these are done can marry up the engine and box and get it in the chassis.

cutdowndizzy nearsidefootwell

driveshaft nearsidefrontwheelarch

wheelarchmakinggood offsideinnerwingrepair

Blowing your Trumpet

Well been at it again started on the body some stress cracks where the front is laminated to the tub which i have ground out ready to relaminate, also the area behind the manifold on the offside where the heat shield is supposed to be (most had gone)has been badly affected so i have cut it out will use it as a mould for a new one and laminate in place. the prefit on the steering is great brackets sorted but not fabricated as yet, i was going to extend the steel on the pedal box to accommodate the bottom bearing but i have decided to leave it so as it can break out in the event of a shunt and double up so to speak on the double knuckle setup and sliding joint of the autograss power unit, blower fitting wednesday will take pics as i work got to sort the drive alignment and belt adjuster position and fixing.

Then started fitting the blower got the fixing bracket on plus the blower attached to it,i have done the measurements for the new driver pulley for the crank and ordered the billet of ally to machine it from which should be with me tuesday,also worked out the tensioner arrangement got to machine the bracket for that it will use the idler supplied from sc power,but as this is a preserp engine there is a fair amount of fettling to do but seems all sorted in theory,fitted the trumpet base with its modded trumpets from sc power with the gasket supplied by them to help keep the plenum chamber cool,also got the plenum chamber riser fitted to increase the plenum capacity,all the mods are done to the connections to the plenum plus cleaned out the waterway which was very blocked,fitted the bracket i am going to use for the coil packs supplied by emerald,i took out the original fuel rail fixings and fitted nice stainless capheads to finish that side of things off,so looking good so far working with the gear supplied is a real pleasure beautifully made and well engineered.

blower3 waterway

bracket2 bracket

plenum2 trupets2

trumpets gasket

Body and Seal

I have been at it again today not on the engine as am awaiting supplies for the billet to turn up the crank pulley and some laser cutting for the bracket for the tensioner i have designed, but i have rebuilt the remaining rear hub now the seals have arrived, cleaned up the drive shafts and the cvj units, just need to paint those then they can go on,also made a start to the bad area of glassfibre around the offside manifold ,also got a pic of the finnished steering column with its power unit and sliding joint all connected, and I gunked and pressure washed the gearbox ready to paint the box itself.

gbox damage

driveshafts nearsidehub

repair STEERINGCOLUMN